Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Love Letter

I've been thinking about you lately.  I'll be surfing the internet and then find a mention of something that reminds me of you, and then I'm hit with a pang of wistful wanderlust.  There's something so exciting about you, something so familiar too, despite that we've only spent a few weeks together.  I want to jump on a plane to get to you, but there's usually something stopping me... not just the expense, but this nagging feeling that you are just too cool for me, that I don't have enough drive or Type-A behaviors to make it work between us.  But something about you brings out that drive, that creativity, that urge to just live and create and thrive.  I worry that this feeling would fade, but there's another part of me that says, hey kid, as long as we're together, I can't help but become more of the me I am meant to be. 

A couple of weeks ago, on my way to work, a song by Alicia Keys came on the radio and the next thing I knew, I was trying to hold back tears, trying to calm the lump in my throat. 

Even writing this, I'm doing the same thing.  The tears catch in my throat at the end of every few lines I write.  Swallow.  Breathe.

New York, New York.... this is for you. 

(Straying from the formula I've been sticking to so far.  Hey, it lasted three days, that's pretty good for me!  But these things happen when I've been hearing the city call.  Miss you, NYC.)

No comments:

Post a Comment