Monday, January 21, 2013

Brighten Up

Tonight I am feeling re-inspired to write.  I went to a David Sedaris reading - he's testing out material to be published in his next book.  And MY guffaws could inspire him! 

Writing's been difficult recently.  Well... not writing, but just getting to the writing.  I hadn't wanted to do anything the past few days that might cause me to focus on the break-up.  Yes, there was a break-up.  It was my decision, but it is still painful.  I always come back to thinking that I've made the right decision, but there are so many things that still suck about it.  And these pages are supposed to be the keeper of beautiful things - and when I am feeling mopey and lonely beauty is less apparent.  I'm just not in the mood for it sometimes. Who doesn't want a good wallowing now and then?

But tonight, my spirits have brightened.  I got to meet a writer!  A real, published writer who makes a darn good living.  And it made me feel like maybe I would try to write some publishable stuff again.  Someone in the audience asked David if he had a novel in him.  He said he has a ten-page attention span.  And that, yes, he'd written three novels.  They were 17 pages each.  Ah!  Lovely.

I think I may have to try my hand again at the personal essay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment